Monday, December 15, 2014

Paperback 843: The Sketch Book / Washington Irving (English Classic Series 31)

Paperback 843: English Classic Series 31 (1st ptg? , 1889)

Title: The Sketch Book
Author: Washington Irving
Cover artist: N/A

Estimated value: Hard to say? Only listed copy at abebooks.com is $26, but I've labeled it as $6, so … somewhere in there, I guess.

ECS31


  • I have nothing to say about this cover, or the back cover. There is only one interesting feature of this book—it is the oldest paperback in my collection. By several decades.


ECS31bc

Page 23~

From the moment Ichabod laid his eyes upon these regions of delight, the peace of his mind was at an end, and his only study was how to gain the affections of the peerless daughter of Van Tassel.

I assume "regions of delight" was 19th-century-speak for "boobs."

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

2 comments:

Tulse said...

'I assume "regions of delight" was 19th-century-speak for "boobs."'

What, that's not covered in the Explanatory Notes?

Brophy said...

Ichabord Crane, if I remember correctly, was way more interested in fine Dutch baked goods than boobs. To each his own?