Saturday, April 26, 2014

Paperback 768: Star Science Fiction Stories No. 2 / ed. Frederik Pohl (Ballantine 612)

Paperback 768: Ballantine Books (2nd ptg, 1962) (isfdb entry)

Title: Star Science Fiction Stories No. 2
Editor: Frederik Pohl
Cover artist: [Richard Powers]

Yours for: $10

BB612

Best things about this cover:
  • Beard.
  • Seriously, beard. How often do you see beard? Not too often.
  • I'm disturbed by his lack of hands. I guess they're inside those little spheres, but it looks like they've replace one of his hand with a giant hypodermic.
  • Not the most scintillating cover art, but I do love Powers's fever-dream space shapes and colors.

BB612bc

Best things about this back cover:
  • Rocket! Or jet gull! Probably rocket!
  • Again, I love when books explain the basics of publishing to you. "We find good stories … and then we publish them!"
  • Weird to brag about being an "original publication" and claim that the stories "appear here for the first time" when this is a reprint of the real original, published in 1953.

Page 123~ (from "Conquest" by Anthony Boucher)

"I fly with my synapses, if that's the word I want, and sometimes I guess they don't apse."

I see APSE a lot in crosswords. Never quite like that, though.

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

2 comments:

Z said...

I'm so confused... The pink header says "not a reprint" but you're saying it is a reprint. Huh?

DemetriosX said...

That's a pretty good lineup. The only name unfamiliar to me is Robert Crane. Seems he mostly wrote under his real name, Bernard Glemser. His story here was his first SF, which makes his inclusion a little odd to me.

One of the stories might explain the guy with spheres for hands. Unfortunately, none of the titles jumps out at me to say "Oh, yeah, that's why." In fact, the only title I really recognize it "It's a Good Life" which is most famous as the Twilight Zone episode where Billy Mumy sends people to the cornfield.

The reprint thing is weird. I'm going to guess that they just took the copy and art from the original PB publication, changed the logo,and went with what they had.