Saturday, September 28, 2013

Paperbacks 701 and 702: Raison Funebre / Georges Vidal // Quand Passe Calone... / Alain Page (Editions Fleuve Noir 313 / 363)

Paperback 701: Editions Fleuve Noir 313 (PBO, 1962)

Title: Raison Funèbre
Author: Georges Vidal
Cover artist: "M. Fournay" (I think)

Yours for: $12

Fleuve313

Best things about this cover:
  • "I vill prove zat zay are inflatable!"
  • Dagger wielded by killer, or laser pointer wielded by Anatomy professor?
  • She has one hell of a tan.
  • You'd think they'd make the whole torn dress/bondage thing less subtle.

Paperback 702: Editions Fleuve Noir 363 (PBO, 1963)

Title: Quand Passe Calone ...
Author: Alain Page
Cover artist: "M. Fournay" (I think)

Yours for: $16

Fleuve363

Best things about this cover:
  • Teenager really must borrow the car. She insists.
  • Being and Nothingness and Murder.
  • Seriously, this is like a Sartre play. "Shoot. Don't shoot. What does it matter?"

Fleuve363bc

Best things about this back cover (same for both books):
  • This manages to be both generic and dynamic.
  • I want to be a "Gentleman Justicier." Sounds elegant.
  • Is "Anticipation" what the French called "scifi?" "La Réalité de Demain" ("The Reality of Tomorrow") suggests yes, but I'd be surprised if they hadn't co-opted the term "sci-fi" by now (see "pin-up," above)

Page 123~ (from Quand Passe Calone...)

"Jolie fille, hein? Il ne faudrait pas grand-chose pour en faire une pin-up occidentale."
"Je n'aime pas les pin-up, je la préfère telle quelle est..."
["Pretty girl, eh? It wouldn't take much to turn this photo into a western-style pin-up"
"I don't like pin-ups. I prefer her just as she is..."]

I'm trying to imagine anyone, anywhere, uttering the phrase "I don't like pin-ups." Nope, doesn't compute.

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

2 comments:

DemetriosX said...

At first, I figured that Anticipation was the name of the publisher's SF line. But a bit of research shows that it was the original Francophone term, although they also use the English term as well. It looks like a lot of languages use "science fiction" these days, but flirted with a native term for a while. Bit like rock and roll, I suppose.

I love the incredibly bored girl with the gun on the Page book. Of course, the guy in the foreground looks like he's already dead, so I can see that she might not be all that worked up.

Greg M. said...

The artist's name is Michel Gourdon. Here's more samples of his work. You can see his signature is the same.

http://www.pinupcartoongirls.com/2012/10/michel-gourdon.html