Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Paperback 607: Ain't Gonna Rain No More / John Faulkner (Gold Medal 927)

Paperback 607: Gold Medal 927 (PBO, 1959)

Title: Ain't Gonna Rain No More
Author: John Faulkner
Cover artist: Mitchell Hooks

Yours for: $20

GM927

Best things about this cover:
  • Whoa. Hey, uh, Dorothy? Your underwear called. It wants to know why you left it at home.
  • How many signifiers of hickdom can you cram onto one cover? (answer: infinite). It's all whittlin' and pail sittin' and stove-humpin' with these folks. 
  • "If this were a cartoon, my hat would've flown off my head *this* far!"

GM927bc

Best things about this back cover:
  • OK, that dress is way more, uh, titillating in higher-contrast B&W. The distinction between polka dot and nipple is at this point irrelevant.
  • "for furnish" ... what in the George Shaw is that?
  • With the door jamb, she looked like she was striking a sexy little pose. Without the door jamb—lice-picking.

Page 123~

"I need my bucket up here to flang at her again, ifen I could git her back on the porch. She's been right shy about coming out on the porch sinct that there bucket chased her offen the end."

I sincerely hope that when I am old, I will have one of theme there flangin' buckets to flang at people who get up on my porch without permission.

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

2 comments:

William F said...

Is there any way that a dead guy can force another dead guy to change his last name?

DemetriosX said...

@William F
Why would he want to force his kid brother to change his name? It's true, John was William's brother, mostly riding his coattails, but fairly well known in his day.

What bugs me most about this cover is the random red letters in the title. I keep trying to discern some code, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.