Friday, January 25, 2013

Paperback 597: The Blackbirder / Dorothy B. Hughes (Dell 149)

Paperback 597: Dell 149 (1st ptg, 1947)

Title: The Blackbirder
Author: Dorothy B. Hughes
Cover artist: Uncredited [Gerald Gregg]

Yours for: $10

Dell149

Best things about this cover:
  • I'm no ornithologist, but ... blackbird? Really? Is there a purple-taloned raptor variety I'm not aware of?
  • Those are the most intestinal-looking talons I've ever seen. 
  • I hope that guy's dead, because otherwise—that crotch-talon, ouch.
  • His feet are so dainty. If I don't look at his weird facial expression, I could almost feel moved by his unfortunate circumstances.

Dell149bc

Best things about this back cover:
  • Well clearly the best things is Jacques (not pictured).
  • Ironically, Popin didn't like it when people just popped in. This is why he lives in the middle of fucking nowhere, with only Jacques to ... do whatever Jacques does.
  • I like the geographical / regional touches: snow, mountains, adobe house ...

Page 123~
Her skirt was a thin sheet of ice from below her hips.
Well, that's one way to call a woman 'frigid,' I guess.

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

1 comment:

A said...

Talk about the lamest villain name ever! Was the Gobbler already taken?

As if "The Birds" movie already hadn't traumatized me, now I have to watch out for giant purple-talloned blackbirds who will grab your crotch?