Sunday, November 29, 2009

57 Books from the University Book Sale: Book 22

Title: You'll Like My Mother (Fawcett T1418, 1969)
Author: Naomi A. Hintze
Cover artist: Harry Bennett

Yours for: $5


  • "I think I *will* like your mother. She sounds ho- ... whoa! Is that her? Oh ... man. I, uh, I have this thing I have to go to now. Band practice, I think."
  • MILF! (Mom I'd Like to Flee)
  • "Maybe if I hide under this giant Fabio wig, mom won't see me..."


  • Dear Best Sellers, "THEY" has no antecedent. Thank you.
  • We need to revive the word "CHILLER-DILLER"
  • Book-of-the-Month Club News is creeping me out with its metaphors. "It's like watching a demonic baby emerge from the birth canal. You'll love it."
Page 123~

In my mind's eye I fixed a firm picture of that fawn-and-brown cat catching that one gray rat. One rat; there were no more.

This is, by far, the most interesting thing happening on this page.

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]

8 comments:

Alix said...

"Chiller-diller" just makes me think of a giant frozen pickle. Which does, at least, seem more interesting than anything going on with these two ladies...

Nicole "Gidget" Kalstein said...

Blondie reminds me of someone, a celebrity, but I can't put my finger on who. Anyone else see a resemblance to someone? I wish I could figure out who it is!

Alix said...

Hell yes, she looks like a blonde Lori Loughlin (Full House)!

JamiSings said...

I was desperately trying to find out the plot. I HATE it when they don't put the plot on the back of the book. Anyway, I found out in 72 they made a movie out of this staring Patty Duke. However the woman on the cover makes me think young Farrah Fawcett.

Deb said...

Nothing I like better than attending a birth when I'm reading a book.

Tulse said...

OK, so there's all this talk of "birth" and "Rosemary's Baby", but there is no way that chick on the cover is pregnant, unless the fetus is gestating in her hair.

And sad, ungainly Charlotte Observer, always awkwardly overexplaining itself to the other kids: "If you want to sleep, don't read this book at night...because it will keep you from doing that...sleeping, I mean...because it is really really engrossing, and you'll want to read it all night...until you finish it...and that will keep you from getting a good night's sleep..."

I bet that Charlotte is really jealous of how slick and facile Columbus Dispatch is with all the happening wordplay. I bet Charlotte goes to bed at night (when it isn't reading a completely engrossing tale) thinking "Man, why can't I come up with 'chiller-diller'? That Columbus is so poised and cool! Why does my prose have to be so dorky?"

JamiSings said...

Well, Tusle, I never found the plot of the book, but the movie says she's a young, pregnant widow who goes to live with her controlling mother in law after her husbands untimely death. So it's probably the very early stages - like the first three days.

Elaine said...

Not just horror-suspense, but ROMANTIC horror-suspense; but I thought the husband was dead!? not...oh, ick.... THAT kind of romance...